An oxide containing one atom of oxygen in its molecule or empirical formula.
- ‘Any furnace producing that amount may have one or more operating conditions causing such a high level of carbon monoxides.’
- ‘The deleterious consumption of monoxides and dioxides has also weakened my mental acuity, sensitivity and enthusiasm.’
- ‘Earlier in 2004 Californian city councillors ended up with red faces after taking steps to protect people from the potentially deadly chemical dihydrogen monoxide.’
- ‘This atomic chlorine reacts readily with ozone to produce chlorine monoxide and molecular oxygen.’
- ‘He continued to work productively, analysing the chemistry of chlorine bleaches and preparing hypochlorous acid and chlorine monoxide for the first time.’