(of an organic compound, especially a fat) saturated except for one multiple bond.
- ‘Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats tend to decrease blood cholesterol levels when substituted for saturated fats.’
- ‘It is suggested that replacing saturated fats in the typical American diet with monounsaturated fats present in macadamia nuts has a favorable effect on lipoprotein levels.’
- ‘It contains less monounsaturated fat and more unhealthy artery-clogging saturated fat than olive oil, Weil says.’
- ‘In refractory cases, monounsaturated fats may replace carbohydrates, but weight and lipid profile should be closely monitored.’
- ‘Meta-regressions also explored the relation between change in proportion of saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and monounsaturated fat on cardiovascular events.’