Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an organic compound, especially a fat) saturated except for one multiple bond.
- ‘It is suggested that replacing saturated fats in the typical American diet with monounsaturated fats present in macadamia nuts has a favorable effect on lipoprotein levels.’
- ‘Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats tend to decrease blood cholesterol levels when substituted for saturated fats.’
- ‘Meta-regressions also explored the relation between change in proportion of saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and monounsaturated fat on cardiovascular events.’
- ‘In refractory cases, monounsaturated fats may replace carbohydrates, but weight and lipid profile should be closely monitored.’
- ‘It contains less monounsaturated fat and more unhealthy artery-clogging saturated fat than olive oil, Weil says.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.