Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having only one type or representative, especially (of a genus) containing only one species.
- ‘The Podostemaceae consist of about 270 species assigned to about 47 genera, mostly monotypic or oligospecific, reflecting considerable discontinuous variation of morphological characters.’
- ‘Gao and Fox indicate that they have identified characters that would separate the three species into three monotypic genera but do not discuss them.’
- ‘These genera can be considered monotypic, although Ceratodrilus does have two described species which would be considered subspecies if that rank were being used.’
- ‘All five of the monotypic genera qendemic to Northern Melanesia are confined to the Solomons.’
- ‘Both genera are likely monotypic, though some scholars have argued that Brachycephalus includes two previously synonymized species.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.