Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a function or quantity) varying in such a way that it either never decreases or never increases.
- ‘The number above each segment gives the rank of the absolute value of the monotonic increase or decrease.’
- ‘The logarithm is only one of many nonlinear but monotonic functions that can be applied to measurements prior to analysis.’
- ‘What leads us astray is the assumption that interval calculations can be based on end points alone, which is true only for monotonic functions.’
- ‘In contrast to an undiluted probe surface, the hybridization signals exhibited a tendency of monotonic decrease with increasing ionic strength.’
- ‘The S-N curve for a pure metal will be a monotonic function with N increasing as stress decreases.’
2Speaking or uttered with an unchanging pitch or tone.‘her dour, monotonic husband’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.