One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characterized by the belief that there is only one God.‘a monotheistic religion’‘Western monotheistic traditions’
- ‘The great museums of the world bear witness to the extensive impact of monotheistic spirituality upon human civilization.’
- ‘Islam by contrast did present such an immediate monotheistic God who superintended all human endeavors.’
- ‘A truly monotheistic system requires us to recognize the world as it is, and recognize our power of choice in this world.’
- ‘They stressed that their religion was monotheistic and that it possessed the formal features of established religions: a dogma, a distinct ritual, a priestly hierarchy.’
- ‘Alone among the great monotheistic faiths, Catholicism is a lover rather than a breaker of icons.’
- ‘It was first thought that the Olmecs were monotheistic, but it is now known that they were polytheists.’
- ‘From ancient times to the present, various forms of monotheistic faith have repeatedly unleashed tremendous energies for both good and ill.’
- ‘The final development in Indian religious thinking, in a time just before Buddhism, was that of monotheistic belief.’
- ‘The Bible teaches that mankind was originally monotheistic.’
- ‘This monotheistic Native American religion was strongly based on a Christian model, with some ancestral ceremonies included.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.