One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characterized by the belief that there is only one God.‘a monotheistic religion’‘Western monotheistic traditions’
- ‘This monotheistic Native American religion was strongly based on a Christian model, with some ancestral ceremonies included.’
- ‘Islam by contrast did present such an immediate monotheistic God who superintended all human endeavors.’
- ‘Alone among the great monotheistic faiths, Catholicism is a lover rather than a breaker of icons.’
- ‘They stressed that their religion was monotheistic and that it possessed the formal features of established religions: a dogma, a distinct ritual, a priestly hierarchy.’
- ‘A truly monotheistic system requires us to recognize the world as it is, and recognize our power of choice in this world.’
- ‘The great museums of the world bear witness to the extensive impact of monotheistic spirituality upon human civilization.’
- ‘The final development in Indian religious thinking, in a time just before Buddhism, was that of monotheistic belief.’
- ‘The Bible teaches that mankind was originally monotheistic.’
- ‘It was first thought that the Olmecs were monotheistic, but it is now known that they were polytheists.’
- ‘From ancient times to the present, various forms of monotheistic faith have repeatedly unleashed tremendous energies for both good and ill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.