One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The doctrine or belief that there is only one God.
- ‘The ideological clash between monotheism and polytheism furnishes the world with one of its first examples of asymmetrical warfare.’
- ‘He wrote in favour of monotheism, belief in one God rather than many, using selected Hindu scriptures and Christian Unitarianism to support his case.’
- ‘In a contest with polytheism, monotheism is likely to prevail, and one who comes to hold that many natural phenomena were created intentionally probably will come to believe in God.’
- ‘The liberals also commonly assert that monotheism is a late evolutionary religious development.’
- ‘Plenty of evidence indicates that in Paul's day Judaism with its monotheism and high ethical standards was an attractive religion to many non-Jews.’
- ‘This monotheism, this religion of the one, of course has universal appeal.’
- ‘You're talking about monotheism as if its synonomous with fundamentalism and religious intolerance, which strikes me as a bit of a straw man argument.’
- ‘Unlike most religions, it requires no one belief regarding the nature of God: it embraces polytheism, monotheism, and monism.’
- ‘This is not simply a clichéd clash between Islamic monotheism and Hindu polytheism as is made out in standard accounts on the subject.’
- ‘The monotheism of the Jews, and of the Christianity that developed from Jewish origins, was central to the moral identity of the West.’
- ‘The unequivocal monotheism of Islam served to unite all.’
- ‘The Indo-Iranian Kurds have their own language, script, and religion, Ezidism, which may be the world's oldest monotheism.’
- ‘All of this flows, according to Stark, directly from the inherent logic of monotheism.’
- ‘Does your masonry promote multitheism or does it promote monotheism?’
- ‘We brought monotheism to a pagan world, and guaranteed women's rights in marriage.’
- ‘But what's different about this human depiction of God, this notion of monotheism, is that it transfers real material scarcity to divinity.’
- ‘Paul's monotheism, which included the view that God controlled everything that happened, was braver than that.’
- ‘Pantheism can no more account for any decadence than monotheism.’
- ‘Once the option for religion has been made, the only serious alternatives are pantheism and monotheism.’
- ‘Late antique Neoplatonism was essentially monotheism; Wicca is essentially duotheism.’
Mid 17th century: from mono- ‘one’ + Greek theos ‘god’ + -ism.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.