Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The doctrine or belief that there is only one God.
- ‘Plenty of evidence indicates that in Paul's day Judaism with its monotheism and high ethical standards was an attractive religion to many non-Jews.’
- ‘Does your masonry promote multitheism or does it promote monotheism?’
- ‘You're talking about monotheism as if its synonomous with fundamentalism and religious intolerance, which strikes me as a bit of a straw man argument.’
- ‘Late antique Neoplatonism was essentially monotheism; Wicca is essentially duotheism.’
- ‘But what's different about this human depiction of God, this notion of monotheism, is that it transfers real material scarcity to divinity.’
- ‘In a contest with polytheism, monotheism is likely to prevail, and one who comes to hold that many natural phenomena were created intentionally probably will come to believe in God.’
- ‘The ideological clash between monotheism and polytheism furnishes the world with one of its first examples of asymmetrical warfare.’
- ‘The monotheism of the Jews, and of the Christianity that developed from Jewish origins, was central to the moral identity of the West.’
- ‘All of this flows, according to Stark, directly from the inherent logic of monotheism.’
- ‘Once the option for religion has been made, the only serious alternatives are pantheism and monotheism.’
- ‘Unlike most religions, it requires no one belief regarding the nature of God: it embraces polytheism, monotheism, and monism.’
- ‘This is not simply a clichéd clash between Islamic monotheism and Hindu polytheism as is made out in standard accounts on the subject.’
- ‘Paul's monotheism, which included the view that God controlled everything that happened, was braver than that.’
- ‘We brought monotheism to a pagan world, and guaranteed women's rights in marriage.’
- ‘This monotheism, this religion of the one, of course has universal appeal.’
- ‘He wrote in favour of monotheism, belief in one God rather than many, using selected Hindu scriptures and Christian Unitarianism to support his case.’
- ‘Pantheism can no more account for any decadence than monotheism.’
- ‘The unequivocal monotheism of Islam served to unite all.’
- ‘The liberals also commonly assert that monotheism is a late evolutionary religious development.’
- ‘The Indo-Iranian Kurds have their own language, script, and religion, Ezidism, which may be the world's oldest monotheism.’
Mid 17th century: from mono- one + Greek theos god + -ism.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.