One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A railroad in which the track consists of a single rail, typically elevated, with the trains suspended from it or balancing on it.
- ‘They were given apartments that were very near the monorail that would bring them to the Core District in a matter minutes.’
- ‘The monorail was labeled an essential facility by the state Legislature and the Seattle City Council.’
- ‘Why will the monorail be any less expensive than the light rail?’
- ‘They hadn't the concourses of most normal airports, or the monorails that would connect the terminals, or over-priced eateries.’
- ‘Some monorails get by with tracks just a shade over two feet wide.’
- ‘If monorail's success rate in less-populated areas is any indication, the airport could do well with such connectivity.’
- ‘We stepped off of the monorail onto a platform with two tracks lining it four floors up.’
- ‘From the moment you step on to the monorail which takes you from the vast car park to the park itself, the excitement of the day begins.’
- ‘The elevator opens onto a platform where you can catch a monorail up the hill to the museum.’
- ‘We need to stop judging the monorail by the degree to which it does or doesn't make us feel good, and treat it like any other major civic project.’
- ‘The current batch of super Casinos in a relatively finite space are already forming tentative alliances, offering monorails between venues that are separately owned and operated.’
- ‘This apparently will lead to billions of petro dollars being spent on monorails, overpasses and new highways.’
- ‘They plan to remind voters of the original allure of monorail: Elevated trains never get stuck in traffic.’
- ‘He does acknowledge though, that the key to getting either the monorail or the tram back on track is to find investment from the private centre.’
- ‘Since there are claims and counter-claims by advocates of the metro and the monorail, a debate is definitely called for.’
- ‘I paid my fare and then rode the first monorail that came, which was headed to Convention Center Station.’
- ‘He says the light rail will connect four of Seattle's major urban centers, and the monorail will connect the fifth.’
- ‘By contrast, alternate technologies like people movers, mini metros and monorails require the entire route to be separated either by elevating it, putting it underground or fencing it off.’
- ‘How about an elevated monorail to connect the two Bradford stations, the airport link and the Odsal complex?’
- ‘One can take taxis, monorails or buses to reach the place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.