Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A capitalist system typified by trade monopolies in the hands of a few people.
- ‘The objective historical necessity for socialist revolution arose not simply from the fact that imperialism and monopoly capitalism inevitably gave rise to world wars.’
- ‘It's constitution denounced monopoly capitalism and called for organizing workers into one force for revolutionary struggle.’
- ‘The rise of monopoly capitalism in the aftermath of the Civil War led not to equality, but rather to ever-deeper inequality.’
- ‘They are critical to explaining its historic inability to fulfill its own aims and create a ‘middle way’ between socialism and monopoly capitalism.’
- ‘He further argues that, as monopoly capitalism displaced competitive capitalism, hegemonic regimes replaced earlier despotism in the workplace.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.