One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a person or business that has exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.‘the investigation into monopolistic practices among supermarkets’
- ‘He criticized this conclusion on the grounds that the existence of monopolistic conditions was the essential explanation of discriminatory pricing.’
- ‘We attributed the Great Depression to monopolistic restraints.’
- ‘The fact that the import duty has insulated the domestic market provides domestic producers with the opportunity to build up a monopolistic scheme.’
- ‘Also, he mentioned the difficulties of deciding whether monopolistic or competitive conditions tended to prevail in a given case.’
- ‘Restrictions on these markets allow them to remain monopolistic.’
- ‘This implies a monopolistic market structure in fertilizer production, which affects the way in which the market operates.’
- ‘It was a rather interesting problem, regarding whether it was competitive or monopolistic to craft a certain rule.’
- ‘The reciprocal obligations of aristocratic gift exchange neutralized the monopolistic imperatives of the closed shop.’
- ‘Price transparency exposes monopolistic or isolated markets to competition.’
- ‘The company is under investigation by the Department of Justice for possible monopolistic business practices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.