One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a person or business that has exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.‘the investigation into monopolistic practices among supermarkets’
- ‘We attributed the Great Depression to monopolistic restraints.’
- ‘Also, he mentioned the difficulties of deciding whether monopolistic or competitive conditions tended to prevail in a given case.’
- ‘The reciprocal obligations of aristocratic gift exchange neutralized the monopolistic imperatives of the closed shop.’
- ‘Price transparency exposes monopolistic or isolated markets to competition.’
- ‘He criticized this conclusion on the grounds that the existence of monopolistic conditions was the essential explanation of discriminatory pricing.’
- ‘This implies a monopolistic market structure in fertilizer production, which affects the way in which the market operates.’
- ‘The company is under investigation by the Department of Justice for possible monopolistic business practices.’
- ‘Restrictions on these markets allow them to remain monopolistic.’
- ‘The fact that the import duty has insulated the domestic market provides domestic producers with the opportunity to build up a monopolistic scheme.’
- ‘It was a rather interesting problem, regarding whether it was competitive or monopolistic to craft a certain rule.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.