(of an animal) eating only one kind of food.
- ‘The salt-marsh planthopper Pissonotus quadripustulatus is monophagous on B. frutescens.’
- ‘It is a monophagous herbivore that feeds on leaves and flower buds.’
- ‘The new world members of the genus Blepharida include about 45 species, many of them monophagous and feeding mainly on Bursera or other members of Burseraceae and Anacardiaceae.’
- ‘While monophagous herbivores were typically found at lower densities in polycultures, polyphagous herbivores showed a more variable response.’
- ‘In this area, the monophagous, leaf-feeding, chrysomelid beetle Galerucella calmariensis is the main herbivore on L. salicaria.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.