One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An abnormally high proportion of monocytes in the blood.
- ‘These white blood cells help fight viral infections, and an increased number of ‘atypical’ lymphocytes usually indicates current infection with mononucleosis.’
- ‘As a sophomore, a bout with mononucleosis and an injury limited his play to 29 games, in which he scored just three goals.’
- ‘The pharyngitis and flu-like symptoms are difficult to distinguish from mononucleosis in older patients.’
- ‘Common benign causes include adenoviral illness in children, mononucleosis, and some pharmaceuticals, and these can usually be identified with a careful history and examination.’
- ‘The flu gave way to mononucleosis and finally chronic fatigue syndrome, which sidelined him for several months.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.