(of a cell) having one nucleus.
- ‘The mice developed extensive eosinophil and mononuclear cell inflammation, goblet cell hyperplasia, and mucus occlusion of the airways.’
- ‘The nuclei of these mononuclear cells are round to oval with ill-defined cytoplasmic margins.’
- ‘The biopsy specimen obtained in June 1988, revealed an almost identical cellular pattern, with most cells being mononuclear in form.’
- ‘Occasional large zones of pink hyaline material surrounded and entrapped groups of the mononuclear and multinuclear histiocytes.’
- ‘By implanting the bone marrow mononuclear cells, we deliver endothelial progenitor cells and vascular growth factors at the same time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.