One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Consisting of one metal only.
- ‘Cast or wrought monometallic aluminum bearings have high load-carrying ability, and can withstand very high speeds.’
- 1.1historical Relating to, involving, or using a standard of currency based on one metal.
- ‘The latter, monometallic, standard has problems of coin size (too small or too large) and of susceptibility to counterfeiting.’
- ‘A fairly unanimous consensus focusing on money as a means of exchange based on a monometallic standard and leading to a narrow definition of money is developed.’
- ‘The widely accepted belief that originally the United States was on a monometallic ‘gold standard’ is incorrect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.