Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A single strand of man-made fiber.
- ‘Reduced sensation can be detected with a monofilament, and patients with sensory neuropathy as well as other high risk features need advice on foot care to minimise the risk of ulceration.’
- ‘In insects, one of the most informative ways to assay immunocompetence is to measure the cellular encapsulation response to a novel and standardized antigen, such as a nylon monofilament.’
- ‘When I use a monofilament to test his sensation, he reports no feeling in his toes - nor in his feet, nor in his hands.’
- ‘Some manufacturers have developed combinations of monofilaments and fibrillated fibers; others blend macrofibers and microfibers together.’
- ‘At the high-quality end of the industry, flock manufacturers cut flock from long cables of parallel monofilaments of nylon, rayon, or polyester.’
- ‘‘We can use a monofilament to detect the loss of sensation in the foot,’ he explains.’
- ‘The practitioner should apply the monofilament at several locations on the foot.’
- ‘Patients were asked to state the time interval during which the monofilament was felt or say if they could not tell.’
- ‘The inability to feel a 5.07 thickness monofilament indicates the absence of protective sensation, resulting in decreased awareness of pressure injury or trauma.’
- ‘Suspended from the ceiling by an invisible monofilament was another work, a light and lovely disposable chandelier made out of twist ties, the ultimate summer camp project.’
- ‘The range of hip, knee, and ankle movement should be determined, and sensation should be tested for example, with a monofilament to exclude a peripheral neuropathy.’
- 1.1A type of fishing line using a single strand of man-made fiber.
- ‘I am not a great exponent of braided lines so tend to use monofilament for my fishing.’
- ‘Given the tangled circumstances, heavy monofilament or no-stretch super braid is a wise choice.’
- ‘The simplest and easiest way to finish the whipping is to bind a loop of fine monofilament or tying silk under the ring whipping for the last ten turns or so.’
- ‘Start by cutting the 400 lb monofilament to your preferred length.’
- ‘A small selection of flies and monofilament is also available.’
- ‘Whether or not you choose to use Superbraid line or standard monofilament is a decision you make for yourself.’
- ‘Amazingly he had landed this fish on ‘light’ tackle; using a fixed spool reel and only forty pound monofilament.’
- ‘A final word about monofilament, it does deteriorate with the passage of time and there are all sorts of technical reasons why this is so.’
- ‘It's essential when fishing braid, to add about 30-ft of monofilament to the end of the braid.’
- ‘Trimming the tag end of the knot or even simply cutting it can pose a problem for anglers more used to snipping monofilament.’
- ‘Assuming that 15 pound breaking strain line is used, an angler using monofilament might have to use a six or eight ounce sinker and use a 20 lb class rod to carry that sinker weight.’
- ‘If it will remain on the garment, stitch it in place along the outer edges with monofilament or matching thread.’
- ‘I found it a great place for bagging off from, but beware of snagging - netting, monofilament, and ropes abound!’
- ‘It is demonstrably better than monofilament when used with small nymphs and dry flies because it is virtually invisible in water.’
- ‘To assist in your purchases why not look at bulk packaged items like hooks, swivels, snap swivels and quality monofilament or wire leaders.’
- ‘There are many different thickness's of serving thread as well as different materials, such as monofilament and nylon.’
- ‘Don't use nylon monofilament - the pressure builds up and can warp your reel.’
- ‘The ability to tie a good knot in monofilament and braid lines is an ability to be cultivated and practised.’
- ‘So how do you ensure that any knot in monofilament is as good as you can get it?’
- ‘He wasn't sure if it was down to conditions at the time, when he had used it, but his results had been better than when using monofil straight through.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.