One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large phagocytic white blood cell with a simple oval nucleus and clear, grayish cytoplasm.
- ‘In vivo studies have demonstrated that glutamine is essential for optimal immune cell functioning for monocytes, lymphocytes and neutrophils.’
- ‘Microglia, brain cells equivalent to the monocytes of the immune system, surrounded the plaques that were not yet cleared.’
- ‘Both inflammatory and antiinflammatory responses were attenuated, whereas the innate cell function of granulocytes and monocytes was preserved.’
- ‘In response to infectious pathogens or their by-products, monocytes and macrophages generate and release proinflammatory cytokines.’
- ‘In some animal studies, it stimulates natural killer cells and monocytes, which the immune system uses to fight off viruses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.