One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flowering plant with an embryo that bears a single cotyledon (seed leaf). Monocotyledons constitute the smaller of the two great divisions of flowering plants, and typically have elongated stalkless leaves with parallel veins (e.g. grasses, lilies, palms)Compare with dicotyledon
- ‘Lipid transfer proteins are small, basic proteins that have been purified from both monocotyledons and dicotyledons.’
- ‘In monocotyledons, the expanding region of leaves, where cell division and tissue expansion take place, is located near the leaf insertion point.’
- ‘Sandersonia aurantiaca is a liliaceous monocotyledon with a bell-shaped corolla formed from fused petals and sepals (tepals).’
- ‘Besides this constitutive system, iron reductases have been described in dicotyledons and non-grass monocotyledons that reduce iron prior to uptake.’
- ‘Results presented in this study are in good agreement with those reported for other monocotyledons such as maize and rice.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.