One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aconite with blue or purple flowers. The upper sepal of the flower covers the topmost petals, giving a hoodlike appearance.
Genus "Aconitum", family "Ranunculaceae": several species, including the North American "A. uncinatum" and the European "A. napellus"
- ‘If I am diligent I can get an extra few weeks out of the delphiniums, foxgloves and monkshood by removing the spent blooms.’
- ‘Azalea, violets and towering monkshood blended with the coastal wildflowers.’
- ‘The mound, from base to crown, was cloaked in flowers; in monkshood, columbine, goldenrod, blazingstar and others.’
- ‘He planted an unusual orange-flowered nasturtium relative, Tropaeolum tuberosum, on this tepee and surrounded it with monkshood, a purple perennial.’
- ‘The refuge was established to protect the northern monkshood, a relative of the buttercup that the federal government classifies as a threatened species.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.