One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The exhibition was elegantly cool, monkishly quiet and very deliberate, just as one imagines Opalka must be: resolved, accepting, and making every moment count.’
- ‘Libertarian ideas, he thought, were like a delicate candle flame ever threatening to gutter; they could only be tended to monkishly by a tiny and obscure remnant.’
- ‘There's something monkishly self-denying about his dedication to the pursuit of perfection.’
- ‘He still works long hours and lives monkishly up near the Housatonic River in Connecticut.’
- ‘Gritting his teeth, Jim dropped the file and crossed the bullpen, past rows of monkishly bent heads and pens scribbling meaninglessly on paper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.