One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A viral disease of African origin, related to smallpox and transmitted to humans through fluid exchange by rodents and primates.
- ‘Smallpox vaccine has been reported to reduce the risk of monkeypox among previously vaccinated persons in Africa.’
- ‘The world has recently seen an emergence or re-emergence of infectious diseases such as smallpox, SARS, West Nile virus, and monkeypox.’
- ‘This is the first time that monkeypox, a smallpox-related virus usually found in Africa, has infected humans in the United States.’
- ‘Today monkeypox is not spreading fast, but the slow decline of immunization to smallpox may nudge monkeypox up into the breakout zone.’
- ‘Just this year, exotic animals smuggled from Africa infected American prairie dogs, which then affected humans with so-called monkeypox; 37 cases were confirmed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.