One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A viral disease of African origin, related to smallpox and transmitted to humans through fluid exchange by rodents and primates.
- ‘The world has recently seen an emergence or re-emergence of infectious diseases such as smallpox, SARS, West Nile virus, and monkeypox.’
- ‘Today monkeypox is not spreading fast, but the slow decline of immunization to smallpox may nudge monkeypox up into the breakout zone.’
- ‘This is the first time that monkeypox, a smallpox-related virus usually found in Africa, has infected humans in the United States.’
- ‘Just this year, exotic animals smuggled from Africa infected American prairie dogs, which then affected humans with so-called monkeypox; 37 cases were confirmed.’
- ‘Smallpox vaccine has been reported to reduce the risk of monkeypox among previously vaccinated persons in Africa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.