One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen coniferous tree with branches covered in spirals of tough, spiny, leaflike scales, native to Chile.
Araucaria araucana, family Araucariaceae
- ‘A 40 ft monkey puzzle tree with branches only at the top of the trunk provided just the right amount of shade for three sun-loving cricket fans.’
- ‘Meyer outlines global problems, and then as evidence of how grim the cause of conservation is, he lists dire stories of individual species like red squirrels and monkey puzzle trees.’
- ‘The stubborn resistance of the Araucanians, who lent their name to the monkey puzzle tree and delighted in its piñons, left a strong Indian influence.’
- ‘The tree which was stolen was an araucaria, or monkey puzzle, which was planted in memory of Maurice by his family.’
- ‘Logging and agricultural development have reduced the distribution of Chile's famed national tree - the monkey puzzle tree - to three small areas of the country.’
Mid 19th century: said to be so named in response to a remark that an attempt to climb the tree would puzzle a monkey.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.