One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen coniferous tree with branches covered in spirals of tough, spiny, leaflike scales, native to Chile.
- ‘Meyer outlines global problems, and then as evidence of how grim the cause of conservation is, he lists dire stories of individual species like red squirrels and monkey puzzle trees.’
- ‘The tree which was stolen was an araucaria, or monkey puzzle, which was planted in memory of Maurice by his family.’
- ‘A 40 ft monkey puzzle tree with branches only at the top of the trunk provided just the right amount of shade for three sun-loving cricket fans.’
- ‘The stubborn resistance of the Araucanians, who lent their name to the monkey puzzle tree and delighted in its piñons, left a strong Indian influence.’
- ‘Logging and agricultural development have reduced the distribution of Chile's famed national tree - the monkey puzzle tree - to three small areas of the country.’
Mid 19th century: said to be so named in response to a remark that an attempt to climb the tree would puzzle a monkey.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.