One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of playground equipment consisting of a horizontally mounted overhead ladder, from which children may swing.
- ‘I looked at his group then him, moving back to a ladder that led up to a slide and some monkey bars.’
- ‘Remember when we were about seven and I pushed you off the monkey bars?’
- ‘They swung from the monkey bars and grinned from the hopscotch lines etched on the pavement.’
- ‘Some of my most instructive moments in grade school came on the monkey bars - we invented games there, learned to deal with bullies, made friends… and just had fun.’
- ‘With quiet little parks all over the place, with children playing on swings and monkey bars when school was out.’
- ‘You can do pull-ups in the gym, on a tree branch, or on monkey bars in a playground.’
- ‘Sighing softly, I scale the monkey bars and perch atop them, halfway across, so that I can balance myself on the thick bar that helps support all the smaller ones.’
- ‘It was a breezy evening, and families were out-of-doors, children playing on the monkey bars of a little park nearby, people strolling past book stalls and market wares.’
- ‘Some played on the monkey bars, some on the swings, while others were content just to play in the sand.’
- ‘When she reached the height she desired, she leapt off the swing and grabbed a hold of the monkey bars nearby.’
- ‘Ok lets go over to the slide and monkey bars now!’
- ‘It was like being a child on the monkey bars, like when I was a kid on the playground, back in the projects where I grew up.’
- ‘Children have fewer opportunities to play on swing sets and monkey bars at school and in parks, too.’
- ‘The 15-year old Teryl didn't play on the slides or the monkey bars anymore.’
- ‘My mom, Tucker, and I would come to this park every weekend and play on the swings and slides and monkey bars.’
- ‘Kevin started running towards the monkey bars.’
- ‘Ryan went from the monkey bars right to the slide.’
- ‘They were laughing and shouting and hanging by their knees from the monkey bars.’
- ‘We walked to the middle of the play ground were the monkey bars sat, and I told them what was going on.’
- ‘Others hang half upside down off the monkey bars, shooting imaginary spider webs out of their wrists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.