Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who deals with large amounts of money, especially on behalf of a large organization; a financier.‘a coast-to-coast crusade by White House hopefuls and their money men’
investor, speculator, banker, capitalist, industrialist, tycoon, magnate, business person, businessman, businesswoman, stockbrokerView synonyms
- ‘He is an activist as well as a money-man.’
- ‘Every other film on my top-ten was original, and the majority of them took risks that most Hollywood producers and money-men would never understand.’
- ‘Selling a film idea to the money-men is never easy but there are ways of smoothing the ride.’
- ‘The do-gooders are at it again, and once again they're being manipulated by the money men behind them.’
- ‘Clarence's friend Dick is an actor and has connections with Hollywood money men.’
- ‘Fashion design can no longer be conducted in an ivory tower; designers have to get down and dirty with the money men.’
- ‘He blames the money men for the sorry state of the business today.’
- ‘The point about speculators, greedy money men that they may be, is that they tend to be ruled by the fundamentals.’
- ‘I think it is a wonderful opportunity for the money men in football to refuse their managers money at this time.’
- ‘There must have been some money men in the studio who had their doubts.’
- ‘The intrepid director is trying to keep the money men from pulling the plug on his latest venture.’
- ‘A deluge of letters and faxes was sent asking NHS money-men to resolve a £1.5m crisis at the world-leading cancer centre.’
- ‘The site's management said it had reached its targets but the money men just decided to burn cash elsewhere.’
- ‘I made those money men sit up and take notice.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.