Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Focused on money and material possessions; materialistic.‘the rise of a self-centered, money-oriented society’
worldly, consumerist, money-oriented, money-grubbingView synonyms
- ‘I am not materialistic and money-oriented, so I need something meaningful, spiritual and helpful to do to earn my living.’
- ‘I was heartened to see that fan power is still alive and kicking in a money-orientated game dominated more and more by agents and footballers.’
- ‘Kids in the '80s and '90s were pretty apathetic and money-oriented, not really involved in world affairs.’
- ‘We want the blinkered, money-orientated council to sit up and take note. "’
- ‘After first pursuing a money-oriented career amongst silicon chips, in the late Nineties he decided to pursue his dreams in performance.’
- ‘She was an elegant woman indeed, but very money-oriented.’
- ‘I do think that racing is becoming too money-oriented.’
- ‘I am not completely money-oriented.’
- ‘Social critics may bemoan the money-oriented values of teens, but summer programs that feature community service in places such as Ecuador, Ghana, and Fiji are deluged with applicants.’
- ‘Money-oriented folk may bask in the glow of a high income, since they regard it as the primary sign of success and personal worth.’
- ‘Jerry becomes convinced that the field of sports agency has become too money-oriented.’
- ‘The companies behind it all are very money-orientated.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.