One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Support for the principle of having monarchs.
kingship, sovereignty, autocracy, monocracy, absolutism, absolute power, despotismView synonyms
- ‘For the sake of those who have given up on democracy and are reverting to monarchism: the people are against this war.’
- ‘The rather weak excuse some of them gave for their obvious enthusiasm was that it wasn't so much monarchism that they hated, but the British monarchy.’
- ‘The early part of the 1990s, when monarchism dared not speak its name and supporters of the Crown felt as though they were a beleaguered minority, seems like a bygone age.’
- ‘If you challenge the subjectivity of judgment, you are accused of absolutism, which is about as bad as believing in monarchism or the persecution of witches.’
- ‘Between the uncircumscribed freedom of parliamentarism and a presidentialism that resembles monarchism, the latter is preferable.’
- ‘It is difficult to know whether inevitabilism is genuine support for the republic or rather amounts to a form of monarchism.’
- ‘Red Tories are a slightly different breed of libertarians who usually support Canadian traditions like monarchism and anti-Americanism.’
- ‘There reason to see the Church as an agent of monarchism and social hierarchy.’
- ‘Speaking as a republican for reasons of well-founded political cynicism, I don't recall monarchism at a lower ebb.’
- ‘Though this displays the conservative side to Scottish nationalism, it is not objectionable to the Catholic hierarchy who can co-exist with the market, monarchism and militarism.’
- ‘His monarchism was held against him after the 1917 Revolution, until Stalin revealed his liking for him.’
- ‘Conservatives were reassured when at the end of 1921 Fascism became an organized party, the Partito Nazionale Fascista, and embraced monarchism and liberal economics.’
- ‘That is, the long-term result of the whole dirty business is just as likely to be the consolidation of our form of constitutional monarchism.’
- ‘It is certain that National Socialism does not favor monarchism and is definitely republican in conviction.’
- ‘Adams's Federalist presidency was more bitter still, and the 1800 rematch produced charges of atheism and libertinism against Jefferson, and of monarchism against Adams.’
- ‘Radical political exiles used the Kaspar Hauser story as a way to attack German monarchism.’
- ‘He is best known for defending monarchism on the technical grounds of time-preference.’
- ‘How does he reconcile Dante's monarchism with modern egalitarianism?’
- ‘Preferring to be a citizen rather than a subject, I had misgivings that this would convert me to monarchism - in fact, it revitalised my republicanism.’
Mid 19th century: from French monarchisme.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.