One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large migratory orange and black butterfly that occurs mainly in North America. The caterpillar feeds on milkweed, using the toxins in the plant to render both itself and the adult unpalatable to predators.
Danaus plexippus, subfamily Danainae, family Nymphalidae
- ‘Some insects, like the monarch butterfly, migrate to warmer climes in winter.’
- ‘During its final growth stage, the constantly feeding larva of a monarch butterfly consumes an amazing 2.25 times its own weight in milkweed per day.’
- ‘Honey-bees glided over the roses and a monarch butterfly flew over the fence to land on a wing of the cherub.’
- ‘Conservationists and others concerned about the fate of the monarch butterfly may be heartened by a recent survey of milkweed distribution in the major U.S. corn-growing area.’
- ‘The most incredible butterfly journey, measured in thousands of miles compared with our painted lady's few hundred mile trip, belongs to the monarch butterfly of North America.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.