One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An isolated hill or ridge or erosion-resistant rock rising above a peneplain.
high ground, rising ground, prominence, eminence, elevation, rise, hillock, mound, mount, knoll, hummock, tor, tump, fell, pike, mesaView synonyms
- ‘Mount Watatic in Ashburnham, an hour west of Boston, enables you to drive to the summit of the monadnock.’
- ‘They may also rise starkly as massive monadnocks that have served as quarries, trash dumps, artistic surfaces, picnic grounds, and mystery sites among casual visitors.’
- ‘Rising above the flattened Piedmont terrain east and southeast of Atlanta are several large rock masses known as monadnocks.’
- ‘Even as a child I had heard what a monadnock was - a huge lump of rock rising above rolling forests, a big hunk scraped bare but still left after the icecap had gone back.’
- ‘With Mount Royal on his doorstep, it was only natural that the monadnocks stretching eastward from Montreal across the Saint Lawrence valley would attract his attention.’
Late 19th century: named after Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire, US.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.