One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a people now inhabiting parts of southeastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand but having their ancient capital at Pegu in the south of Burma.
- ‘Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.’
- ‘Myanmar has eight major ethnic groups - Bamas, Kayins, Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Kachins, Chins and Kayahs.’
- ‘The Mons and Burmans absorbed the Pyus and similarly Burmans and Shans and Burmans and Chinese and others mixed with each other and influenced the life-style of one another.’
- ‘He is scheduled to hold a joint meeting with leaders of minority groups including the Shans, Kayins, Mons and Rakhines later in the day at his hotel.’
- ‘The original inhabitants of the region were the Mons, who may have been introduced to Theravda Buddhism in the early centuries by missionaries sent from India.’
- ‘Groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons, and Kachins.’
- ‘Wars were fought with the ethnic Mons and Arkanese, and with the Siamese.’
2The language of the Mon, related to Khmer (Cambodian).
- ‘Cambodian, or Khmer, is classified by linguists as an Austro-Asiatic language, related to Mon - a language spoken in Burma and western Thailand.’
- ‘The dominant Khmer language belongs to the Austroasiatic language family and is related to Vietnamese, Mon, and a number of other Asian languages.’
Relating to the Mon or their language.See also Mon-Khmer
- ‘Today the Mons have no independent political status and the Mon language is dying out.’
- ‘Halted in its southward move by the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, Burmese encountered the Mon language.’
- ‘Malay, Mon, and Khmer civilizations flourished in the region prior to the arrival of the ethnic Tai.’
- ‘It documented accounts of 43 crimes against women from the Karen, Karenni, Mon, and Tavoyan groups as well as the Shans.’
- ‘This island is home to a community of Mon people who came here from their homeland in the river Kwai valley north of Kanchanaburi.’
The name in Mon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.