One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Tibetan cooking) a steamed dumpling filled with meat or vegetables.
- ‘The momo itself is sheer, like a Chinese pot sticker, but I prefer the less-refined momos of Nepal, which are bigger, doughier and more potato-y.’
- ‘Boudhanath has several good rooftop restaurants selling steamed Tibetan momos, but the Hilton is a stone's throw away if you really need to get away from it all.’
- ‘"Up in my village, people are starving," he said as he put another momo in his mouth.’
- ‘Noodles (chau chau) are popular in Nepal, as are the meat-stuffed dumplings called momo; these reflect the Chinese influence mediated through Tibet.’
- ‘We order some Tibetan beer and momos (vegetable dumplings) as the band starts into a passable version of John Lennon's ' Jealous Guy '.’
- ‘Tibetan influences are also found, such as in momo - steamed or fried meat or vegetables in dough.’
- ‘We began with an order of vegetable momo ($5.95), steamed dumplings filled with a purée of mixed vegetables and chopped onions - a popular appetizer in Nepal.’
- ‘Within minutes, the beef momos had arrived, the six of them neatly lined up like crusty little soldiers.’
- ‘The fields yield paddy, their cattle are well fed and fat, water is well guided, they have their own eateries serving their favourite beef-filled momos and noodle dishes.’
- ‘Delicious momos (dumplings) and noodle dishes were all prepared in a flash.’
- ‘We got a dish of doughy pockets called momos as a shared appetizer, although it's designed as a meal, including soup and salad ($6.99 - $7.99 for eight, steamed or fried).’
- ‘We enjoyed ours with another tasty Tibetan staple, sha momo, minced-meat dumplings flavored with ginger, onion, and garlic.’
- ‘There are the popular dim sums, the steamed dumplings filled with prawns, chicken or vegetables, and fried or steamed momos and wantons with similar fillings.’
- ‘We are refilling our bodies with liquids and plate after plate of wonderful vegetables, fried rice, and momos.’
- ‘So we had momos at Chanakya and then came home and stayed up all night just catching up!’
- ‘The four-day event will have a wide variety of lip smacking soya recipes, including tikka, patties and salads in Italian dressing and momos.’
- ‘Her recommendations range blithely from the momo at street stalls in Majnu ka Tilla to the Bukhara at the Maurya Sheraton.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.