Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a small store or business of a type often run by a married couple.‘most of the town relies on a local mom-and-pop ISP for their email’
- ‘Temporarily freed of the apron she wears in our mom-and-pop grocery store, my mother had dressed up for her downtown jaunt.’
- ‘Should mom-and-pop frame shops be worried about losing customers to the Web of convenience?’
- ‘They would rather shop at national chains than at local mom-and-pop stores.’
- ‘You can't get a mom-and-pop shop to do something like this nationwide.’
- ‘Those smaller stores, not to mention mom-and-pop operations in provincial towns, are threatened by the big international megastores.’
- ‘‘We've always been a mom-and-pop shop,’ he continued.’
- ‘Mainly comprised of mom-and-pop stores and private veterinarians in 1993, pet care has grown to a $23 billion industry of superstores and medical organizations.’
- ‘The duo started the company as a mom-and-pop retail frame shop where they worked with local artists.’
- ‘Currently, all business falls under one tax category, be it a hotel, restaurant or mom-and-pop candy store.’
- ‘Most ice cream stores are still mom-and-pop shops that lack the funds needed to finance such a study.’
- ‘Let's be specific: Because the proposed law would only include grocery stores over 10,000 square feet, every local mom-and-pop store would be exempt.’
- ‘Gone are the overhead cables and the architectural mismatch of high-rise office building next to mom-and-pop store next to 50-year-old houses.’
- ‘The mom-and-pop stores are further disadvantaged in the global marketplace, being effectively shut out of access to consumer dollars.’
- ‘That reminds me of a superstore that pats itself on the back for putting a mom-and-pop hardware store out of business.’
- ‘He looked into the windows of the little souvenir shops, mom-and-pop restaurants, and other shops.’
- ‘Not only did consumers earn mere pennies by participating, but they also had to shop at any number of mom-and-pop stores just to earn those pennies.’
- ‘In addition, mom-and-pop shops are facing more competition from big box stores and Internet sites.’
- ‘It was not a great time to launch a mom-and-pop record store.’
- ‘The twentieth century witnessed the virtual demise of the household-sized mom-and-pop corner stores, replaced by large scale department and speciality stores.’
- ‘Now most of the oceanfront bungalows and the mom-and-pop motels are gone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.