One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, livebearing freshwater fish that is popular in aquariums and has been bred in many colors, especially black.See also sailfin molly
- ‘Female Mexican mollies, P. mexicana, did not discriminate between sworded males and unsworded males based on mating interest.’
- ‘The freshwater mollies and tetras are rather ferocious and may take chunks out of your skin like miniature piranhas.’
- ‘Many fish lay eggs, but some - including common aquarium fish such as guppies, swordtails, and mollies - retain the eggs inside their bodies until hatching.’
- ‘The company rears popular varieties like goldfish, angelfish, mollies and fighters in its farm near Coimbatore.’
- ‘The researchers collected Atlantic mollies from water in a cave, at the cave entrance, and in a portion of the river outside of the cave.’
1930s: from modern Latin Mollienisia (former genus name), from the name of Count Mollien (1758–1850), French statesman.
The drug MDMA, especially in powdered or crystalline form.‘the men were high on Molly’
- ‘Large amounts of Molly can lead to sharp increases in body temperature, resulting in rare instances of hyperthermia or liver, kidney or cardiovascular system failure.’
- ‘Tests for potentially lethal drugs such as molly using a device developed by three Bay State companies could one day be admitted in court instantly as evidence, instead of waiting months for state lab results.’
- ‘She likes pot and Molly because they are "happy drugs, social drugs."’
- ‘He said it's hard to get a real idea of how many students have used molly.’
- ‘Undercover narcotics officers baited pharmaceutical entrepreneurs with entreaties for Molly.’
- ‘Molly water is the name for what EDM fans call water with Ecstasy dissolved in it.’
- ‘Police raided a room in the hotel and found a plethora of drugs, including approximately 90 grams of heroin, 28 grams of cocaine, and smaller quantities of marijuana and Molly.’
- ‘Miami Dade police have found that Molly also can contain methylone, a chemical found in bath salts.’
- ‘With all of the hype and media attention, Molly is being glamorized throughout the pop teen culture as an acceptable drug that provides a ride that is packed with hours of fun.’
Early 21st century: probably after the given name Molly, perhaps influenced by the initial letter of MDMA.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.