One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The skin of a mole used as fur.
- ‘He was in the same get up, just with a moleskin jacket, and very short deerskin shorts.’
2A thick, strong cotton fabric with a shaved pile surface.as modifier ‘a moleskin coat’
- ‘Tweeds, velvets, moleskin - there's no retro cloth that hasn't been revamped for a new generation of trendsetters.’
- ‘He's wearing grey herringbone-tweed trousers and a velvety moleskin jacket.’
- ‘He is wearing a chocolate brown moleskin suit, a dark shirt and tartan clip-on braces, one of which has come adrift.’
- ‘The tails of his black cloth coat were pinned up behind to keep them from rubbing; he had on a pair of moleskin trousers and leather gaiters, and in his hand he carried a little whip of rhinoceros hide.’
- ‘I often feel like I'm an 18th century aristocrat arriving at Lord Monck's house for dinner, a dark-coated wag or bounder wearing the latest in britches and moleskin cape.’
- ‘On Friday he was canvassing on the Thames View Estate dressed in a brown moleskin suit, white shirt, beige tie and polished shoes.’
- ‘Jeans, polo shirts, boots, moleskin trousers, handcrafted belts, hats and jackets are among some of the products on sale at the new store.’
- ‘I asked Geoff to explain the differences in the different moleskin fabrics.’
- ‘You would know them at a glance - dressed almost alike with brown boots, moleskin trousers, and a peaked cap turned to the left side.’
- ‘The fabrics are understated, using simple knits, jersey cotton and moleskins.’
- ‘These two contrasting elements surface as streamlined suits with detailed panelling and tab-fronted trousers, either in traditional herringbone tweed, soft moleskin or leather.’
- ‘Apparently with the longer curly blond hair and the black moleskin jacket I look ‘very indie’.’
- ‘The decision to go with my rather fetching moleskin jacket was looking like a victory for style over practicality.’
- ‘For texture, we've used traditional moleskin in our cushioning and have hot-branded the Longhorn logo in leather and timber throughout.’
- ‘Later that afternoon, he is back in his £400 custom-made wig, moleskin britches and make-up to give a reading at a travel trade fair.’
- ‘She had changed into a black moleskin cloak-like dress but had kept her red headscarf and cross-laced sandals.’
- 2.1moleskins Clothes, especially trousers, made of moleskin fabric.
- ‘The light weight moleskins come in beige and taupe, and the heavy weight in navy, green, beige and taupe.’
- ‘So once again I have found what I am looking for and cannot leave the store without purchasing two pairs of heavyweight moleskins.’
- ‘He therefore exchanges his spangled ‘European drag’ for the moleskins and elastic-sided boots of a jackeroo.’
- ‘Men, women and children donned their finest boots, moleskins and shirts for this year's race weekend.’
- ‘He was one of those tiny lion-dog things, a tad hyperactive, and irritatingly fond of gnawing at the bottom of my moleskins, but winningly cute.’
- ‘Moretons sells a wide range of trousers, especially moleskins, and jackets through their website and their Christchurch shop.’
- ‘The young judges in their new Akubras and moleskins were great to see.’
- 2.2US A soft fabric with adhesive backing used as a foot bandage.
- ‘Carry moleskin for those blisters as soon as they begin to be noticeable.’
- ‘Wear socks that whisk away sweat to protect your feet, and remember beforehand to apply moleskin to places where you have a tendency to get hot spots.’
- ‘Protect hot spots and blisters with moleskin, medical tape or good old duct tape.’
- ‘Apply moleskin or tape places where your feet have a tendency to get hot spots.’
- ‘You might also try attaching moleskin to the inside of your shoes where it might rub, such as your heels.’
- ‘She was pretty sure she had some moleskin in the first aid kit.’
- ‘Get a metatarsal pad or a piece of thick moleskin, bevel the edges and paste it on the sock liner or directly on the shoe so that it hits just behind the heads of the metatarsal bones.’
- ‘The company has numerous foot products, from toe spacers to moleskin, that can help a dancer in distress.’
- ‘Be proactive: Put moleskin on your feet in sensitive, blister-prone areas before you hike.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.