A group of atoms bonded together, representing the smallest fundamental unit of a chemical compound that can take part in a chemical reaction.
particle, molecule, bit, little bit, tiny bit, tiny piece, fragment, fraction, grain, granule, crumb, morsel, mite, mote, speck, spot, dotView synonyms
- ‘This electricity splits the water molecules in an electrolyte, producing hydrogen.’
- ‘In the water molecule there are three atoms: two of hydrogen and one of oxygen.’
- ‘The reactant ions have enough energy to ionise the molecules of interest but not enough to break them up.’
- ‘It works by affecting a molecule called nitric oxide, which expands blood vessels.’
- ‘At the root of sunburn are damaging molecules, free radicals that increase when the skin gets too much sun.’
Late 18th century: from French molécule, from modern Latin molecula, diminutive of Latin moles mass.