One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the average mass of one molecule of an element or compound to one twelfth of the mass of an atom of carbon-12.
- ‘Alcohols and ethers having higher molecular weights do not dissolve well in water, however, because the water molecules can not completely surround those molecules.’
- ‘The ethyl group has a greater molecular weight than the smallest alkyl radical which is the methyl group.’
- ‘During these reactions, they are chemically linked forming macromolecules, or polymers, which have large molecular weights.’
- ‘Milk protein, or casein, is a mixture of molecules with molecular weights ranging from 75,000 to 375,000 daltons (amu).’
- ‘Although this is adequate for some common proteins, it is useless for, say, enzyme complexes that commonly have molecular weights of 5 MDa or more.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.