One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for sunfish (sense 1)
- ‘He is concerned that molas comprise an ‘alarmingly’ large portion of the eastern Pacific drift net fishery by-catch.’
- ‘The larvae are dotted with widely scattered short sharp spines, a possible throwback to the distant relationship molas have with the spiny porcupine puffer.’
- ‘The largest bony fish in the world, the molas can grow to be over 10 feet long and weigh up to 5,000 pounds.’
- ‘On one dive, I went after two molas molas in close proximity, but at 44m I couldn't hear a thing - including my own exhalations - and my head felt empty.’
- ‘Preliminary results show that molas, unlike other large marine vertebrates, are mostly home bodies and unlikely to make large-scale migrations.’
Late 16th century: from Latin, literally ‘millstone’, with reference to the shape.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.