One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to a popularization of the art deco style marked by bright colors and geometric shapes.
- ‘Jones was perhaps best known at the time for having designed the stunning art moderne interior of the cruise ship The Empress of Britain.’
- ‘There among the moderne vintage items I discovered a simply wonderful Japanese print in a great frame for a steal of a price.’
- ‘For example, in the 1950s many of my parents' friends thought themselves very moderne as they showed off their new butterfly chairs.’
- ‘Examples include the Coolidge Corner Theatre, a 72-year-old art deco movie palace in Brookline, Mass., and the Normal Theater, a 1937 art moderne movie palace in Normal, Ill.’
- ‘Downtown's newest hotel sports great art, moderne styling, 282 luxe rooms, and a rooftop pool, all a stone's throw from the convention center.’
- ‘The restaurant is in a circular room, pleasantly moderne now.’
- ‘Like a lot of other post-Vatican II folks in the pews, I miss something in our spare, moderne churches.’
- ‘He later went on to design the moderne iconography in the Bank of Nova Scotia building at 44 King W.’
- ‘The moderne settings order the space geometrically and rationally while also demonstrating abstract decadence.’
- ‘The new V&C is as swizzy and moderne as the old one is homely and fuggy.’
- 1.1derogatory Denoting an ultramodern style.‘the owner leaned toward modern but anything that even slightly went moderne was to be repressed’
- ‘He created a Gotham City that mixed of deco, expressionist and moderne styles.’
- ‘The décor is East Village thrift-shop moderne.’
- ‘What really counts is having a trendy moderne camera or a DAW with 900 virtual tracks!’
1920s: French, ‘modern’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.