Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A free, expressive style of dancing started in the early 20th century as a reaction to classical ballet. In recent years it has included elements not usually associated with dance, such as speech and film.
- ‘She was mainly taught folk dance, but modern dance was also incorporated to a small degree.’
- ‘Glen, I think, really started to wed the two different styles of classical ballet with modern dance.’
- ‘His dancing is a cross between break dancing and modern dance.’
- ‘It also helps to train in several techniques, such as jazz, ballet, tap, and modern dance.’
- ‘Deborah expressed regrets about the stark separation of classical ballet and modern dance.’
- ‘His works have been performed internationally by major ballet and modern dance companies.’
- ‘The main genres of choreographed dance are ballet, modern dance, and jazz dance.’
- ‘Unlike ballet, which thrives on its past, modern dance wasn't supposed to have one.’
- ‘Lately, poetry readings have been added to the mix, and contemporary classical and modern dance are soon to follow.’
- ‘Once home, she formed a dance company and continued to explore modern dance.’
- ‘The string of treats came as a welcome throwback to the early days of modern dance when pieces were short and numerous.’
- ‘It was to be an incredibly exciting new company with classically based modern dance.’
- ‘Every style of dance will be catered for including hip-hop and modern dance.’
- ‘There is an increasingly fine line nowadays between some modern dance and classical ballet.’
- ‘They also take gymnastics, ballet, and modern dance classes twice a week each and a Latin class once a week.’
- ‘I heard about it later - from tap people, from ballet people, from modern dance people.’
- ‘As in modern dance, each company expresses the particular interest and soul of its founder.’
- ‘It is to be expected, since we don't share the same popularity as ballet or modern dance.’
- ‘And our supremacy in dance is largely through one of its own disciplines, modern dance.’
- ‘Accompanied by his older sisters, he studied ballet and modern dance starting in third grade.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.