Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A free, expressive style of dancing started in the early 20th century as a reaction to classical ballet. In recent years it has included elements not usually associated with dance, such as speech and film.
- ‘Glen, I think, really started to wed the two different styles of classical ballet with modern dance.’
- ‘Lately, poetry readings have been added to the mix, and contemporary classical and modern dance are soon to follow.’
- ‘Accompanied by his older sisters, he studied ballet and modern dance starting in third grade.’
- ‘It was to be an incredibly exciting new company with classically based modern dance.’
- ‘The main genres of choreographed dance are ballet, modern dance, and jazz dance.’
- ‘Once home, she formed a dance company and continued to explore modern dance.’
- ‘His dancing is a cross between break dancing and modern dance.’
- ‘It also helps to train in several techniques, such as jazz, ballet, tap, and modern dance.’
- ‘Every style of dance will be catered for including hip-hop and modern dance.’
- ‘They also take gymnastics, ballet, and modern dance classes twice a week each and a Latin class once a week.’
- ‘There is an increasingly fine line nowadays between some modern dance and classical ballet.’
- ‘I heard about it later - from tap people, from ballet people, from modern dance people.’
- ‘His works have been performed internationally by major ballet and modern dance companies.’
- ‘It is to be expected, since we don't share the same popularity as ballet or modern dance.’
- ‘She was mainly taught folk dance, but modern dance was also incorporated to a small degree.’
- ‘As in modern dance, each company expresses the particular interest and soul of its founder.’
- ‘Deborah expressed regrets about the stark separation of classical ballet and modern dance.’
- ‘The string of treats came as a welcome throwback to the early days of modern dance when pieces were short and numerous.’
- ‘And our supremacy in dance is largely through one of its own disciplines, modern dance.’
- ‘Unlike ballet, which thrives on its past, modern dance wasn't supposed to have one.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.