One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wind of force 7 on the Beaufort scale (32–38 miles per hour, or 28–33 knots).
- ‘Much of the region is still under the influence of strong breezes or moderate gales, and the temperature is still falling, the bureau said.’
- ‘The gradient between these two systems continued generating moderate gales with wind confirmed at 35-45 kts over a moderate area aimed northeast in the Tasman Sea.’
- ‘Sometimes we have had moderate gale straight from the bows, sometimes winds straight from the stern.’
- ‘The winds vary from a gentle breeze to a moderate gale and we continue to sail WSW, covering on average 4 leagues in each four-hour shift.’
- ‘In squally weather or even in moderate gales, you have a broad range of choices to keep the boat under control.’
moderate gale/ˈmädəˌrāt ɡāl/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.