Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to a synthetic textile fiber made from a polymer containing a high proportion of units derived from acrylonitrile.
- ‘Outside material of working uniform with various sizes and modacrylic 55-60% cotton and 45-40% antistatic fiber blending content.’
- ‘This page is your modacrylic one-stop source for the competitive price and quality.’
- ‘Our modacrylic range has something for everyone and human hair and mohair wigs are our specialty.’
- ‘Since modacrylic fibers are copolymerized with vinyl chloride or vinylidene chloride, they are flame retardant.’
- ‘The low softening temperatures of modacrylic fibers allow them to be stretched, embossed and molded into special shapes.’
A modacrylic textile fiber.
- ‘The company constructs its products from the wools, modacrylic, acrylic and fire-retardant polyester fibers.’
- ‘And ‘Evolutionary Plastic’ and modacrylic are the first inherently flame-retardant synthetic fibers.’
- ‘Most stuffed animals have an outer covering of fake fur, usually synthetic materials (polyester, acrylic or modacrylic) or natural materials (wool, wool/cotton, mohair, or alpaca).’
- ‘Finally, acrylic and modacrylic are the predominant fibers used in the fast-growing craft yarn market.’
1950s: from modified (past participle of modify) + acrylic.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.