Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A model or replica of a machine or structure, used for instructional or experimental purposes.
replica, copy, representation, mock-up, dummy, imitation, double, duplicate, lookalike, reproductionView synonyms
- ‘With full-size prototypes, mock-ups and models made with sample materials, tactility, texture, tone and technique are expressed.’
- ‘The front was covered with decorations, including mock-ups of a throne and floral crown, window-sill models of Coronation regalia and the Royal coach, coloured lights and Royal portraits.’
- ‘There had been plenty of images and mock-ups of the unit appearing on the Web, but what people really wanted was to see the unit in the flesh.’
- ‘For rehearsal purposes, there is a mock-up of the stage in this room, but today, the floor is covered with a large circle of chairs.’
- ‘There will also be a mock-up trench used for visits by school children, along with huts in which to store finds, workers' huts and a toilet.’
- ‘Many types of aircraft were replicated in mock-up form including Spitfires, Hurricanes, Wellingtons, Whitleys, and Havocs.’
- ‘They were then ordered into the school youth club where a mock-up prison cell was waiting for them, while prison officer explained the devastating impact of being under lock and key.’
- ‘There will also be a chance to tour a mock-up theatre and anaesthetic room, with a demonstration of equipment and surgical instruments.’
- ‘The astronauts practice on simulators such as a mock-up of the space shuttle's crew compartment.’
- ‘Car firms can see and even ‘touch’ every detail of a new model before a mock-up is made.’
- ‘Everything up until now has been done with simulators and mock-ups.’
- ‘This wasn't just any ordinary old white van either, according to the police, who said it was so unusual that it took time to provide a mock-up model for last week's crime reconstruction at the bank.’
- ‘It has to be clear that the mock-up is for information purposes only, not to solicit comments for a redesign.’
- ‘Visitors can also take a seat in the mock-up executive box, designed to help sell the various corporate packages.’
- ‘Develop storyboards, mock-ups, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.’
- ‘It is packed with memorabilia, a replica of the Stanley Cup, a mock-up of a dressing room and various state-of-the art interactive exhibits.’
- ‘This is why sketches and rough mock-ups are essential to any form of design.’
- ‘During the day-long course, all the participants will be ‘interviewed’ in a mock-up television studio and in an outside broadcast scenario.’
- ‘The design went through a number iterations, models and mock-ups prior to the system based on a simple cable tray.’
- ‘One mock-up board showed 27 turbines, the other 21.’
- 1.1 An arrangement of text and pictures to be printed.‘a mock-up of the following day's front page’
- ‘Last Saturday, a tabloid published a mock-up picture of him wearing a dunce's cap.’
- ‘And then to get writers for the print journal, do a mock-up of what it will look like, check and check.’
- ‘For example, paper mock-ups, page designs, prototype versions, and final implementations can be reviewed at different stages.’
- ‘This is a mock-up of one of the pages, with a picture of the ruin of a famous mazaar (saint's tomb) in Uch Sharif.’
- ‘In the next picture (a mock-up of the preferences screen) you've seen that I've put in an option to make that name editable or uneditable.’
- ‘Management reviewed the text and mock-ups, but largely left the project to the author and designer.’
- ‘I've got a mock-up in Photoshop of what I want to achieve, I have worked out how I should go about achieving it, I set to work, and gradually (very gradually) it comes together.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.