Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually treated as singular] The study and development of systems for improving and assisting the memory.
- ‘Read the rest of this fascinating profile and I suspect that, like me, you'll come away with an appreciation of Card and a desire to learn more about the Riccian method of mnemonics.’
- ‘But evolutionary trends are post hoc constructs akin to mnemonics.’
- ‘His interests then turned to publications on mnemonics, which he collected and donated to the University of San Marino.’
- ‘In short, mnemonics and rote memory aren't the only way to learn.’
- ‘Bruno then travelled to Toulouse in France, where he lectured on Aristotle's De anima and wrote a book on mnemonics - systems of memory training.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.