One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular An extreme combat sport in which contestants are permitted to use the fighting techniques of wrestling and boxing but also those of martial arts such as kickboxing, judo, and karate.
- ‘He is also a professional mixed martial arts fighter.’
- ‘The principal force behind the effort is the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the largest mixed martial arts association in the world.’
- ‘Over the past five years, however, because of shrewd marketing by the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the sport's premier brand, mixed martial arts has become mainstream.’
- ‘Rosi reckons there are strong similarities between her talents for maths and for cage fighting, also known as mixed martial arts.’
- ‘Yet even among more experimental sects, mixed martial arts has critics.’
- ‘In 1999, at age 19, he became the Sambo world champion and, shortly afterward, began fighting in mixed martial arts events.’
- ‘Also, in boxing, the participants wear large padded gloves, whereas in mixed martial arts, the participants wear only minimally padded gloves.’
- ‘Almost a decade ago, mixed martial arts was seen as a blood sport without rules or regulation.’
- ‘He hopes to open an athletic center, and to become more proficient in mixed martial arts.’
- ‘Carmine Zocchi, a professional fighter and instructor from Middle Village, Queens, said New York should be a showcase for mixed martial arts.’
- ‘In 2009, he will host five mixed martial arts events at the Tropicana in Atlantic City.’
- ‘Currently, mixed martial arts is the fastest growing sport in the United States of America.’
- ‘In high school, he began taking group classes at Gold's Gym in Milford with Bobby Andrews, a pro boxer who later became involved with mixed martial arts.’
- ‘Mixed martial arts events have drawn millions of television viewers, and one was the top pay-per-view event in 2009.’
- ‘He's probably the single most recognizable name in the world of mixed martial arts.’
- ‘Fourteen former Olympians and 17 former college wrestling champions have participated in mixed martial arts, the association says.’
- ‘But Allan insists that mixed martial arts is still a lot safer than boxing.’
- ‘Since the sport of mixed martial arts was first introduced to the United States in 1993, it has been the subject of much heated political debate.’
- ‘It is only a matter of time before the sport of mixed martial arts sweeps the United States.’
- ‘Mixed martial arts - the catch-all name for such competitions - has been struggling to escape its own history.’
- ‘Only with education will the society ever fully accept the sport of mixed martial arts.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.