One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An alcoholic drink consisting of liquor combined with fruit juice or other ingredients, usually shaken or stirred before serving.
- ‘The mixed drink should not have intoxicated him, but if one drinks enough of any kind of liquor, drunkenness is sure to follow.’
- ‘By the way, a mixed drink stirred with a vanilla bean is wonderfully smooth.’
- ‘Even though the screwdriver you order at brunch has vodka and orange juice, mixed drinks provide little to no nutritional value - only calories.’
- ‘The explosion of consumer interest in new flavor, combinations has made hot drinks as exciting as flavored Martinis and other mixed drinks.’
- ‘Just press the lever and frost glasses for mixed drinks, for soft drinks, for wine glasses or dessert glasses.’
- ‘Try a mixed drink with fruit juice as your first drink of the night, or spread honey on a couple of crackers before hitting the bar.’
- ‘Campari is a mild bitters-type apéritif, often drunk with soda, orange juice, or in mixed drinks.’
- ‘Among groups, men are more likely to order beer, while women tend to order liquor and mixed drinks.’
- ‘On the personal history forms, subjects provided information about alcohol consumption (i.e., number of servings of beer, wine, and mixed drinks consumed per month).’
- ‘People will always start off the night with a mixed drink while our wine customers will drink wine regardless of the time of year.’
- ‘Disappointed that we had missed a good evening of free drinking, we decided to go to my friends' place of work, where I drank a plethora of shooters, several mixed drinks and a beer.’
- ‘I've decided to go against the grain and not have any mixed drinks tonight.’
- ‘Latin drinks - from aguas frescas to mixed drinks - offer a spectrum of alcohol content from zero proof to potent, and these can easily be tuned and adjusted.’
- ‘Help your partner stay away from beer, wine, wine coolers, liquor and mixed drinks.’
- ‘A dollar for a couple beers is fine, but mixed drinks call for a bit more.’
- ‘I thought I was just going to serve beer but there was an actual bar, actual liquor, and requests for mixed drinks.’
- ‘In this study, however, we discovered that the avoidance of alcohol is no longer the norm, as sweet mixed drinks and beer are increasingly being consumed at these events.’
- ‘Students were asked to define a drink as a bottle/can of beer, a glass of wine, a wine cooler, a shot of liquor, or a mixed drink.’
- ‘Alcohol, in particular, is one high-voltage source of calories, and other ingredients in mixed drinks can up the total, plus add fat.’
- ‘Try alcohol-free beers, wines, and mixed drinks as a substitute.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.