Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An alcoholic drink consisting of liquor combined with fruit juice or other ingredients, usually shaken or stirred before serving.
- ‘Try alcohol-free beers, wines, and mixed drinks as a substitute.’
- ‘The explosion of consumer interest in new flavor, combinations has made hot drinks as exciting as flavored Martinis and other mixed drinks.’
- ‘Disappointed that we had missed a good evening of free drinking, we decided to go to my friends' place of work, where I drank a plethora of shooters, several mixed drinks and a beer.’
- ‘Latin drinks - from aguas frescas to mixed drinks - offer a spectrum of alcohol content from zero proof to potent, and these can easily be tuned and adjusted.’
- ‘On the personal history forms, subjects provided information about alcohol consumption (i.e., number of servings of beer, wine, and mixed drinks consumed per month).’
- ‘A dollar for a couple beers is fine, but mixed drinks call for a bit more.’
- ‘In this study, however, we discovered that the avoidance of alcohol is no longer the norm, as sweet mixed drinks and beer are increasingly being consumed at these events.’
- ‘By the way, a mixed drink stirred with a vanilla bean is wonderfully smooth.’
- ‘Campari is a mild bitters-type apéritif, often drunk with soda, orange juice, or in mixed drinks.’
- ‘The mixed drink should not have intoxicated him, but if one drinks enough of any kind of liquor, drunkenness is sure to follow.’
- ‘Just press the lever and frost glasses for mixed drinks, for soft drinks, for wine glasses or dessert glasses.’
- ‘Alcohol, in particular, is one high-voltage source of calories, and other ingredients in mixed drinks can up the total, plus add fat.’
- ‘I thought I was just going to serve beer but there was an actual bar, actual liquor, and requests for mixed drinks.’
- ‘Even though the screwdriver you order at brunch has vodka and orange juice, mixed drinks provide little to no nutritional value - only calories.’
- ‘Among groups, men are more likely to order beer, while women tend to order liquor and mixed drinks.’
- ‘People will always start off the night with a mixed drink while our wine customers will drink wine regardless of the time of year.’
- ‘I've decided to go against the grain and not have any mixed drinks tonight.’
- ‘Try a mixed drink with fruit juice as your first drink of the night, or spread honey on a couple of crackers before hitting the bar.’
- ‘Help your partner stay away from beer, wine, wine coolers, liquor and mixed drinks.’
- ‘Students were asked to define a drink as a bottle/can of beer, a glass of wine, a wine cooler, a shot of liquor, or a mixed drink.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.