One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular (especially in tennis and badminton) a game or competition involving teams, each consisting of a man and a woman.
- ‘Wimbledon fortnight is here, and so are mixed doubles on the grass of York.’
- ‘OK, so she plays a mean game of mixed doubles, but her singles form recently has been awful.’
- ‘Perhaps a mixed doubles tournament would be a better choice for promotion.’
- ‘She is also a former Wimbledon champion, winning both the women's doubles and mixed doubles competitions.’
- ‘The championship will include team events, singles and mixed doubles.’
- ‘She claimed a tour-high seven women's doubles titles, as well as the Australian Open and Wimbledon mixed doubles crowns.’
- ‘One burst of centre court rain and you're propelled into a pre-recorded broadcast of that morning's mixed doubles first round from a court so far from the crowds it's barely in London.’
- ‘It also holds monthly American tournaments, which involves mixed doubles games where players draw for a partner.’
- ‘The format for the knockout competition consisted of four singles matches, a boys and girls doubles game and two mixed doubles match ups.’
- ‘She is currently No. 1 womens and mixed doubles badminton player, and has gained twenty caps so far.’
- ‘While the three-day competition saw the domination of the Malaysian men, the women's doubles and mixed doubles titles were captured by Singapore.’
- ‘The two have paired together at Wimbledon in the mixed doubles competition.’
- ‘This did not bode well for the mixed doubles tournament on Wednesday.’
- ‘The result was not known till the final match, the number 1 mixed doubles.’
- ‘Due to international commitments only one match was possible in the mixed doubles this week.’
- ‘The super tiebreak system - in which the winner is the first to score 10 points - is being employed in the mixed doubles for the second year.’
- ‘The singles events each have 64 entrants and the doubles 32-there is no mixed doubles tournament.’
- ‘She retired in 1997 with 14 singles, 20 doubles and three mixed doubles championship wins.’
- ‘Two out of three mixed doubles matches extended right into three games, keeping both teams on their toes.’
- ‘Which British pair won silver in the Olympic badminton mixed doubles?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.