One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or relating to the mitral valve.
- ‘Mitral valve regurgitation is also called mitral insufficiency, or incompetence.’
- ‘Other conditions that increase the risk of embolism include mitral stenosis (narrowing of a valve in the heart), and endocarditis (swelling of the heart chambers and valves).’
- ‘An echocardiogram confirmed the presence of mitral valve pro-lapse without mitral regurgitation.’
- ‘Other cardiovascular causes include severe mitral stenosis and pulmonary embolism.’
- ‘He was found to have severe mitral regurgitation associated with a ruptured mitral chord and infective endocarditis.’
Early 17th century: from modern Latin mitralis, from Latin mitra ‘belt or turban’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.