One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spell (a word) incorrectly.
- ‘At each performance, several audience members are invited to join the spelling contest, sitting in the bleachers with the cast until they misspell a word.’
- ‘I have very poor spelling and misspell words when I am typing.’
- ‘So for a U.S. representative to misspell the word respresentative in the first sentence of his home page is, let's say, not a sign of mindful communication.’
- ‘Because we included only words that we deliberately misspelled for the purpose of our research, we did not know whether natural spelling errors would also have an impact on how readers perceive an author's abilities.’
- ‘The sign was crooked and the word orphanage misspelled in faded red paint.’
- ‘After all, nearly every other word had been misspelled in the previous 41 pages she'd written that night and dealing with another 20 pages of constant spell checking would've been way too much of a hassle.’
- ‘It irked me almost as much as people who misspell the word ‘irk’.’
- ‘For that matter, how does misspelling every single word express pride in your culture?’
- ‘She made sure that everything was perfect, no word left misspelled, no sentence without a period.’
- ‘If I have misspelled a word, or a sentence really doesn't make any sense, please do tell me and I will fix it.’
- ‘Your students probably have some type of personal word book with words they misspell and words they want to remember from theme studies and their writing.’
- ‘No, I thought it was funny that you misspelled in your most obvious attempt to use a big-boy word.’
- ‘What may be most disturbing, however, is the role that serendipity could play when young kids search for items on search engines, and mistakenly misspell words that may lead to hate sites.’
- ‘What was our mettle, a word I misspelled in my head as m-e-t-a-l?’
- ‘I think the above article misspells the receptor abbreviation.’
- ‘It gets mispronounced or misspelled, but you get used to that after a year or two in school.’
- ‘In fact he cites seven words and misspells two of them.’
- ‘Are there any words folks misspell or incorrect uses of words that simply drive you insane?’
- ‘Certainly, I make typos all the time, and I have a couple of words, such as independent, that I misspell repeatedly.’
- ‘It was a country of bankruptcy notices and public-auction announcements and common-place reports of casual killings and misplaced children and abandoned homes and vandals who misspelled even the four-letter words they scrawled.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.