One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fail to appreciate the value of (something); undervalue.
belittle, denigrate, deprecate, depreciate, downgrade, play down, deflate, trivialize, minimize, make light of, treat lightly, undervalue, underrate, underestimateView synonyms
- ‘But if one assumes any of the natural roles, misprizing externals is no longer an option.’
- ‘It was masked as God's speaking directly to the human spirit, but it included misprizing of the corporeal in the way that they went about it.’
- ‘We must not see it as any misprizing of creation, as if any work of God could be evil.’
- ‘The fact that in these two thousand years it was distorted in many points, misprized and misunderstood is a topic of a different chapter.’
- ‘I am not so much patronizing the other side, rather I am misprizing ours.’
Late 15th century: from Old French mesprisier, from mes- ‘wrongly’ + prisier ‘estimate the value of’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.