One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Refer to (someone, especially a transgender person) using a word, especially a pronoun or form of address, that does not correctly reflect the gender with which they identify.‘various media outlets have continued to misgender her’
- ‘When trans women are murdered, newspapers commonly misgender them.’
- ‘Their reports also misgender the trans student several times.’
- ‘She rarely speaks up when characters misgender her or demean her.’
- ‘By repeatedly misgendering Bal as "him" in her commentary, she does more than simply misinterpret an admittedly ambiguous name.’
- ‘The papers go out of their way to misgender and belittle, replacing every correct gender reference with one that seems calculated to humiliate.’
- ‘They aren't the only professionals familiar with the case who tend to misgender Brandon when discussing his case.’
- ‘I hope she was able to be around people who treat her as a valued, valid human being and don't misgender her.’
- ‘Calling trans women males is a way to misgender us and reinforce the idea that we're not "real women."’
- ‘Television news programs have similarly continued to misgender her.’
- ‘Even though they keep misgendering trans people, they still don't treat them the same way they treat folks of (what they think as the) "corresponding" gender.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.