One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in cricket and rugby) field (a ball) badly or clumsily.
fail to catch, miss, drop, mishandle, handle awkwardlyslip, miss, drop, mishandlingView synonyms
- ‘First baseman Bill Buckner misfielded critically in game six, allowing the New York Mets to come back and win.’
- ‘The opening try to the visitors came very shortly after kick-off when a speculative kick ahead was misfielded by the Otliensians' defence and winger Steve Montgomery went over for Hessle, the conversion attempt failing.’
- ‘There were drama when Wayne Hurley misfielded an easy ball which led to a four when South Africa needed those eight runs from the last six balls.’
- ‘The home side's three tries came first from Tuilevu's mistake as he misfielded Boeta Wessels' grubber and watched as Wylie Human kicked through and pounced on the loose ball.’
- ‘As Lee misfielded, Butcher called for a second that was never there, aborted his run and left Vaughan stranded.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.