(in cricket and rugby) field (a ball) badly or clumsily.
fail to catch, miss, drop, mishandle, handle awkwardlyView synonyms
- ‘There were drama when Wayne Hurley misfielded an easy ball which led to a four when South Africa needed those eight runs from the last six balls.’
- ‘The opening try to the visitors came very shortly after kick-off when a speculative kick ahead was misfielded by the Otliensians' defence and winger Steve Montgomery went over for Hessle, the conversion attempt failing.’
- ‘The home side's three tries came first from Tuilevu's mistake as he misfielded Boeta Wessels' grubber and watched as Wylie Human kicked through and pounced on the loose ball.’
- ‘First baseman Bill Buckner misfielded critically in game six, allowing the New York Mets to come back and win.’
- ‘As Lee misfielded, Butcher called for a second that was never there, aborted his run and left Vaughan stranded.’