Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of liquids) forming a homogeneous mixture when added together.‘sorbitol is miscible with glycerol’
- ‘Methanol is a suitable medium because it is miscible with water in any concentration, lowers the surface tension and does not alter the wax ultrastructure, which has been demonstrated earlier.’
- ‘Ethanol is completely miscible with water and in the manufacture of ethanol it is found that a constant boiling mixture of 95.6% ethanol and 4.4% water is produced.’
- ‘Alcohols and ethers with higher molecular weights are not miscible in water, however, because the water molecules can not completely surround those molecules.’
- ‘With regard to this solvent selectivity, acetonitrile is completely miscible in water but forms very weak hydrogen bonds in its capacity as a hydrogen bond acceptor.’
- ‘The high alkaline cleaners convert the grease into miscible soaps which are able to be rinsed away with water.’
- ‘It is freely miscible with ethanol, diethylether, acetone, and acetic acid (ethanoic acid).’
- ‘The experiment studies how miscible fluids interact without the interference of gravity.’
- ‘It is miscible with water in all proportions, however, when mixing with water, a contraction of volume and a rise in temperature occurs.’
- ‘It is miscible with all commonly used cosmetic oils, is easily emulsified within aqueous formulations, is colorless and can be obtained ‘odor-free.’’
- ‘However, ordinary ethanol - the 95% ethanol-water azeotrope - is unsuitable for this use as the water interferes with the gasoline combustion and prevents the ethanol from being miscible with the gasoline.’
- ‘Acetonitrile is completely miscible with water, but is only a hydrogen bond acceptor and a very weak one at that.’
- ‘This method can only apply to thermoplastic and miscible materials, and it is hard to form a hermetic seal.’
- ‘Each of the glycols shown above is completely miscible with water.’
- ‘It is only partly miscible with water but it is an excellent organic solvent.’
- ‘Vegetable oils can be used to retrofit existing transformers because they are fully miscible with mineral oils and perform the same cooling and insulating functions.’
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin miscibilis, from Latin miscere to mix.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.