Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An act of miscalculating; an error or misjudgment.‘miscalculations were made in counting properties’‘it was a fatal miscalculation’
error of judgement, misjudgement, misreading of the situation, mistake, blunder, faux pas, overestimate, underestimateslip-up, boo-boo, failmisreckoningView synonyms
- ‘Working conditions at the agency are very tense as unemployed people invariably wait for several hours in long queues leading to mistakes and miscalculations being made by staff.’
- ‘In the past year, numerous media accounts have revealed screw-ups, miscalculations and oversights.’
- ‘Furious council leaders say the miscalculation is not their fault.’
- ‘Nobody's always right - we all need to acknowledge mistakes, errors and miscalculations.’
- ‘If he was guilty of mismanagement, miscalculation or mere mistakes then the proper place to hold him to account would be the ballot box.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.